Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Clinic Day 2 at Caton Manor
Day 2 was better than Day 1. The day started with actually hitting traffic so only arriving 7 minutes early, instead of an hour. Today, I learned about how the computer system works (which was really straight forward) and helped with treating real patients. The morning started with helping to get a patient out of bed (~60 y.o. woman, obese, sacral wound, hx of polio resulting in R LE deformities and true leg length discrepancy, L LE lymphedema and severe skin breakdown, severe general deconditioning). It took 3 people (including me!) to transfer this patient from supine<>EOB<> stand. Simply put, my nose and my stomach made a connection this morning during the transfer which was not pleasant...but I was able to keep it professional and nothing bad happened (I was not hungry for hours though). This afternoon, I found out that my CI is going to be in Boston for the remainder of the week so I will be working with a different physical therapist who is really nice. Additionally, I was informed that I will be getting my first patient TOMORROW! My CI said "this patient will be your baby to take care of." Oh dear! I haven't even seen how they do initial evals at this place...I'm a little nervous. Another excitement of the day was the last patient who I saw with my CI. The patient is an 88 y.o. man with Alzheimer's and a severe psych hx (very sad actually). The family was present and there were some statements that were concerning to my CI in terms tone and context in reference to family interactions with the patient. Basically, I learned what a real situation looks like when there are concerns of abuse in the family. And then to end the day I got to leave an 1.5 hours early because my CI had lots of paperwork to finish so she wasn't treating patients before she leaves for Boston tomorrow! And that's my story... I'm still nervous about tomorrow :-/ but it will be a learning experience and thats a good thing, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Aww. Sorry hun :-/ I know that sounds like a rough day. I do hope that your first patient was not as complicated and the day went smoothly! :-)
ReplyDeleteWe need to hangout again so I can give you the geraitric psych info and Jason Aldean/David Nail CD! :-)